Friday 5 November 2010

Murray Goulburn boss quits after controversy

Friday, 05/11/2010

The managing director of dairy processor Murray Goulburn Stephen
O'Rourke is stepping down amid controversy.

Mr O'Rourke faced criticism in recent days after it was revealed
his wife earned up to $430,000 a year working for the company
over the last 12 years.

Mr O'Rourke denies the controversy forced his retirement, but admits
it was a factor.

"In all my time at Murray Goulburn, I have never negotiated a salary
for myself or my wife," he said.

"Quite apart from this issue, the board has been aware that I have
been contemplating retirement as managing director of Murray
Goulburn for the past six months or so.

"Recent events have made the decision easier for me to make.
I tendered my resignation to the board yesterday.

"Initially the board refused to accept my resignation, insisting that
I had no cause to resign and that the board were 100 per cent supportive
of me continuing in the role."

Mr O'Rourke will leave the company in July next year after 12 years
as managing director.

In a letter to suppliers, MG chairman Grant Davies said he had reluctantly
accepted Mr O'Rourke's decision.

"Although initially reluctant to accept Stephen's plans, Stephen was
insistent that his plans for retirement were now clear and should be made
known to Murray Goulburn Co-operative shareholders and other
stakeholders as soon as possible," he said.

"Therefore the Board reluctantly accepted Stephen's resolve and
agreed to announce Stephen's retirement set for July 5, 2011."

WCV's: Whooooooooooohoooooooo finally got rid of the 
expensive rubbish ! I wonder if the 430k Mrs O'Rourke earnt
was the compensation payments Murray Goulburn hasn't paid
to some of their injured workers?

No comments: